The school year is fast approaching, and we are quickly lining up more schools to participate in icouldbe. More schools mean more students – and more students mean that we need more mentors!
One of the really unique things about icouldbe is that our students get to find mentors in industries that interest them. icouldbe.org welcomes all new mentors who can dedicate at least an hour a week to a mentee. There are a few industries, however, from which we’d especially like to recruit new mentors:
- Health sciences and the medical field – especially nurses, physician’s assistants, dentists, and dental assistants
- Computers and Information Technology – especially game designers
- Culinary Arts, restaurant and hospitality professionals
- Architecture, Design & Urban Planning
- Oceanography, Marine Sciences and Marine Biology
- Government, Public Administration and politics (both local and national) – especially law enforcement
Are you a professional in any of these industries? We’d love for you to join icouldbe.org and share your knowledge with our students… many of whom have no idea that they could grow up and become a successful restaurant manager, biologist or game designer. You can give them the confidence and support they need to realize that anything is possible!
Find out more about becoming a mentor here.
Posted in Recruitment
Tagged dental assistant, e-mentoring, game design, health sciences, law enforcement, marine biology, mentoring, mentors, nurses, public administration, volunteers
Since school is out for summer, it’s important to get kids involved in activities to keep them happy and active. Whether it’s sponsoring an event in your community for local neighborhood kids, supporting an organization that focuses on children’s lives, or spending more time with your own, every action counts.
Be an encouraging role model to children who need a friend. Be affirming, encouraging, and let them know they have the support of a caring adult who can help. It’s amazing how big an impact a smile or a friendly word can have!
Always remember to tell your child what you think their individual strengths and talents are. Make a difference by reminding them how they can make a difference in the world!
What you can do:
- Research organizations in your community where you can volunteer or help out – in the summer, there are plenty of fun outdoor activities, so you can stay active too!
- Plan fun events for your own family – even a few special hours dedicated just to them, whether it be cooking a summer meal or going to the park, will make a difference.
- Start to think about this coming school year – it’s just around the corner! If you’d like to become a mentor for icouldbe (read more here), you can start registering now. Even an hour of mentoring a week will make a huge difference in a child’s life.
For more ideas take a look at this website that suggests 100 ways to “make a difference to Children” this month. What ideas do you like the best?
Click above to watch the video.
icouldbe recently attended a networking event sponsored by Hold Hands Chicago at Gibson’s Restaurant, held for students from several Chicago Public Schools.
This event, as well as others happening this summer, was held to provide networking opportunities to students in the Chicago Public School system. Students are able to connect and listen to various speakers in different fields of work. Throughout the summer, Hold Hands Chicago will also offer job shadowing and field trips to various businesses.
icouldbe is really excited about the work that Hold Hands Chicago is doing for students – check back here soon for an update on new, exciting efforts by HHC (here’s a hint: icouldbe is involved!).